Sunday, July 29, 2018

Two Weeks of Vacation

The stars aligned. 
Schedules worked out. 
And my good friend (and now kindred spirit), Astrid agreed to come on a sporadic trip to Utah. 
So we loaded up our car and caravanned with two other of our friends' families and all made the trek out West! It was such a fun experience...
... Aside from Addie being sick to her tummy and screaming for two days in the car 
(I could do without that part!!) 
So in a nutshell, here's our trip so far! 

Saturday, July 14th
We hit the open road and drove 12 hours to Laramie, WY. 
We stayed the night at the in-laws of one of our friends and we were treated like family. 
Highlight: the kids getting to have a massive and chaotic sleepover! 

Sunday, July 15th
Back on the road we finished the drive to Utah and made it just in time for Gma Eileen's 75th birthday party; so we got to see everyone right off the bat... Addie was OVERWHELMED. 
Highlight: Seeing Addie calm down and relax in Uncle Garett's arms. We later 
realized it's because he reminded her the most of Travis. 

Monday, July 16th
Recouped! 
We were beat! Addie was not adjusting well to the trip, and Astrid picked up a sickness and was not feeling well. Then that night we had the first game night with my Chuck-a-rama friends
Highlight: Making a trip over to the Condo pool and watching how much Addie LOVED the water!

Tuesday, July 17th
We apparently brought the Iowa rain with us because it rained... so we skipped the pool. 
We met up with Gpa Vaughn at the carwash to resurrect our Explorer and then that night had a game night with my Chuck-a-rama crew.
Highlight: Sitting in the shaded lawn, sharing donuts with "treat grandpa" after cleaning the car.

Wednesday, July 18th
In a poorly conceived plan... and partly thanks to the meltdown of one of my overly tired children... we ended up attempting to hike the Y at 2:00pm., in 101 degree weather, with a baby and a sick Astrid! Needless to say, the kids only made it 2 switchbacks and Astrid and my mom only made it 4. It was just too hot!! 
Instead, we grabbed some Cafe Rio, and rested before heading back out for the night. 
Highlight: Going to dinner at Bombay House and having one more game night with the Chuck crew. 

Thursday, July 19th
Took a quick trip to Payson where hiked the Grotto and visited my friend, Mackenzie's new farm life she's living. 
Highlight: Having a movie night with my mom and showing Astrid The Other Women, which she loved. It felt good to just sit for a minute. 

Friday, July 20th
Astrid spent the whole night awake, just waiting until Urgent care opened and then took the car while we waited at my Mom's. While there my Uncle John and his family stopped by in which time the boys had a sword fight with him AND a random marching band came parading down the street (I'm assuming practicing for an upcoming event).
We took Astrid to the condo to sleep all day and spent our time with Larisa and our cousins at their house. The kids played in the sprinklers on the tramp, rode bikes, played with water balloons, and then snuggled up together in the Theater room to watch Cars 3. Then, to end the evening Gma Lori and Gpa Vaughn, and Bryce and April joined us for a dinner of homemade pizzas. Oh, and then as an extra treat Gma Lori had Gpa Vaughn read a story to all the grandkids before bed! 
Highlight: watching baby Dallin and Adeline crawl in such different ways from each other; he with his manly army crawl, and her daintily pushing around on her toes! 


Saturday, July 21st
This was our Johnson Day. Astrid, Larisa, Garett, and Gloria went swimming while Vaughn and I took the kids to the river trail to see the ducks and learn to skip rocks across the water. 
During the afternoon we took the kids to the Provo Rec. Pool for some fun in the sun. 
At one point Astrid and I had to trip up to Salt Lake to the Apple store where we met "Tucker the dog," a cute little dog who was wearing human clothes and was seriously so cute!! 
Back at the Johnson's we had dinner, and due to the weather ended up staying in for games instead of going out on the slip 'n' slide; I seriously can't escape the rain! 
You're welcome Utah!
Highlight: Watching Maddix run around with Keili and Allie, just in awe that he is only enough now to not need parent supervision, and just seeing how much fun they were having being independent little swimmers. 

Sunday, July 22nd
We made it to sacrament meeting with the Johnson's before getting back on the road and driving to St. George to surprise my sister with a visit to see her! 
We got there and were so tired that I crashed for 2 hrs and couldn't even wake myself up when their dog kept coming over and licking my face (bleh). 
Highlight: Spending the night at my cousin, Kara's house and watching the boys enjoy a movie with them, and Addie completely zonk out in Cousin, Ricky's arms to the point that she didn't even stir when I moved her to the port-a-crib! 
Aaron took this photo; it captured her
feelings for traveling pretty well.

Monday, July 23rd
We spent the morning hiking the Dixie rock area.
Later that afternoon we played over at the Dinosaur splash pad area. 
That night a bunch of us went to see Mama Mia 2: it was silly, but pretty good. 
Highlight: Being able to leave Addie napping at my Aunt's while the boys and I explored in the heat! 
It was nice to focus on the boys and climb more challenging caverns since my hands were free... not to mention it was 111 degrees out by the time we left the Dino area! 





All I asked for was the sitting and looking over the valley; Aaron reached out for Maddix on his own :)



 





Tuesday, July 24th
I started the morning with a beautiful run with my awesome cousin, Lexi who was training for soccer.
My sweet sister came over and babysat the kids so Astrid and I could spend the afternoon hiking at Zions National Park. We had some quality girl time and bonding moments along the day and it definitely left us wanting more! 
On the way back we picked up Cafe Rio for everyone, ate lunch, and then took the kids over to the pool before ending the evening with a bbq and ice-cream at my aunt Jenny's home. 
Highlight: Not the most enjoyable moment, BUT definitely most memorable moment was when we were at Zions and Astrid was a few steps in front of me when all of a sudden she tensed up and said, "oh my, can you..." and before she can finish saying, "smell that??!!" I did. And it was too late. My mouth was open and everything. 
Someone did us nasty when they passed that gas in front of us!!!! 











Wednesday, July 25th
We drove back to Provo in time to make it to a pedicure with Lori (thanks Travis for working so hard so I can have so much fun!! ;)
Afterward Gpa Vaughn and the kids met up with us for dinner at the BYU creamery, we showed Astrid BYU campus, and then went to Bridal Veil Falls where Astrid and Maddix ended up climbing to the top while this nervous mama waiting below! 
Highlights: watching Aaron's innocent little face sleeping in the car, and watching Addie play with Aaron's hair while waiting for Maddix. AND walks with Gpa Vaughn


 






Made it so high! 



 

Thursday, July 26th
Gpa Vaughn Day: it started with him watching the kids so Astrid and I could go for a run. I took her along the river trail to show her some of my old running paths. 
We went to lunch with Vaughn and his sister, Aunt Janelle at Olive Garden. 
Back at the house Gpa Vaughn came up with the idea to play sprinkler football; even Addie got to play at one point!
Then Gpa Vaughn made us tasty omelets and hash browns for dinner! 
We ended the night by watching Knight and Day with Vaughn and Lori and sharing a bag of cheddar ruffles. 
Highlight: Watching Adeline and the boys snuggle so tenderly and intently on the couch while watching Paw Patrol. 


Friday, July 27th
We went for another pretty run down the opposite end of the river trail before heading out to my dad's house. 
As a fun surprise one of my childhood friends came to town (from Canada where she now lives) and we were able to visit while my kids ran around the splash pad; it was really nice to see her and her cute little baby Thea! 
For Aaron's Birthday my dad and Wendy chose to have a memory with him, instead of buying him a present and they surprised him by taking him to Thanksgiving Point's Dinosaur museum; he's so into dinosaurs right now; they even gave him a little souvenir money! Then we had dinner at their little deli and then headed back to the condo for bed! 
Highlight: Watching Maddix's pure joy when I lent him some money to have enough to buy this special bag of pretty rocks; he then shared these pretty rocks with those who were making him happy at certain moments! 





Saturday, July 28th
I finished the second book in my Wolves of Mercy Falls while lifting weights; I love the morning sun of Utah! 
The afternoon was spent at my Maxfield reunion where we celebrated what would have been my great grandfather's 100th birthday. We took family pictures, heard a presentation on some of our family history, and remembered just how immature/hilarious my uncles are as they threw pinecones at each other during all the serious/focus required points. 
The rest of the day was spent getting everyone ready for their next adventures! 
Highlight: Little miserable Addie couldn't sleep and required some late night walking so I took her outside so she wouldn't wake anyone up and I enjoyed just staring into her eyes, and when she would doze I enjoyed seeing the full moon and planet Venus visible just next to it. 


Sunday, July 29th 
(Today)
At 4:50 I woke Maddix up to hit the road with Gpa Vaughn and Gma Lori to Carlsbad, California for a week long family reunion camping on the beach. This was a sad and touching moment that was so special between me and Maddix that it was such a bitter/sweet moment to part. 
Soon after this, Astrid set out on her next adventure: hiking King's Peak with the Fox clan! We will see her in a few days (if she makes it, she says... not because it's dangerous, but because there isn't phone service!) 
For lunch we met up with one of my sweet previous customers I used to wait on at Chuck-a-rama and we had lunch with them. And as an added surprise a few of my co-workers that I used to love were there and it was like having yet another mini family reunion! 
Now we are at my mom's where I enjoyed sitting up in her bed while she rubbed my feet and we talked. Then Addie took a nap and I took a nap while Gma Donna and Uncle Colton took Aaron out to the park to "wear him down..." 
Colton then crashed on the couch, ready for bed, and Aaron is still bouncing off the walls and giggling away. 
At dinner we gave Adeline spaghetti, for the first time... such a mess, but so much fun. And then she took a MUCH needed bath in the kitchen sink! 
What a great trip we've been having! 




We Miss you Maddix! 


~OnE mOrE wEeK~

P.s. Travis has been alive back home! He does exist! ha ha. He's been working hard, staying up late playing video games, not eating real meals, probably not showering (joke!), whipping the dog into shape by having her run next to the bike, and hanging out with the other temporarily single guys left back in Mason City :) They've gone to movies, chatted, and worked on cars. 
Sounds like he's been "bro'in out!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment