Monday, January 16, 2017

~Friendships~

~My ThOuGhTs on FrIeNdShIp~
Two things spark this topic for me: 
1. While Travis has had time off we've had so many friends over, and different get togethers that I just feel so grateful for friends, and 
2. Maddix has been fighting with Aaron lately and it has strained their friendship, I think.

So first, this past week just FLEW by! We had one set of our little friends over Wednesday night and we popped popcorn, had treat bowls, watched HOME, played w/ toys, got ready for bed, played Uno, then we tucked the girls into our guest room for bed. They all had a blast! 
Later, they boys got to play at McDonald's with 10 of their friends after early out on Friday. 
They boys got to play at their friend's house while Travis and I went out. 
On Saturday we had those friends over while their parent's went out, as well another set of friends, so in our house we had 3 adults, 6 kids, 2 babies, and 1 crazy Nala; I absolutely loved it. The adults had Homemade Cafe Rio Salad while all the kids had quesadilla's and strawberries... just like home. 
And on Sunday we had the Sister Missionaries over and the boys (and Nala) always get crazy excited when they come over. 
Then Second, I've always envisioned having children who would be best friends, run around everywhere together, and have each other's back through out the years, and so far I've been fortunate that boys have that bond. Everywhere we've moved has been made easier because they have each other, and in New York when they had few to no friends, they were so so close. Even here, Maddix usually makes sure that Aaron can catch up when their out with friends, and at home they'll play legos together for a few hours...... or should I say, they DID play nice... fight all the time now! 
Maddix loves school, but I definitely notice an attitude that is growing, and I think it's picked up from school because when he isn't there for a few days it's like my happy kind boy returns. Now he loves school, doesn't have bullies, there isn't some hidden stress or blah blah blah, but I just feel the parts of his personality that are naturally competitive, perfectionistic, and perhaps a little selfish (because of his age) are amplified when he goes to school and is on his own and influenced by 20 other six year olds. He'll come home happy with his day, but have this attitude towards Aaron and I that takes an hour or so for me to work out of his system before he's nice again... parenting, if it's not one lesson to teach, it's another; is anyone else exhausted?! 
So then my question, and please message me, Facebook, call, email, etc with your wisdom, because i'd love to know: How do I help foster Aaron and Maddix's friendship as they are now in one place that isn't forcing them to rely on each other, they have a HUGE group of friends now, and Maddix is out testing his own independence at school every day? How do I encourage them to continue being best friends without forcing them to love each other or become resentful? You mama's/aunt's/father's/uncles,etc  out there, especially those with experience with brothers... HELP! Because I am so tired of this rude attitude, and the hurt feelings of a little brother who so badly waits all day for his brother to come, only to be treated poorly! 
Ready, Go! 

I'm also reminded of friendship through this Poem, by Gillian Jones that was written for her friends. 
A person who will listen and not condemn
Someone on whom you can depend
They will not flee when bad times are here
Instead they will be there to lend an ear
They will think of ways to make you smile
So you can be happy for a while
When times are good and happy there after
They will be there to share the laughter
Do not forget your friends at all
For they pick you up when you fall
Do not expect to just take and hold
Give friendship back, it is pure gold




Bonus photo: We got our picture hung above the mantle 

No comments:

Post a Comment