Thursday, March 14, 2019

~Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Back to the E.R. We Did Go~

This past week was a rough one, with Adeline feeling sick from what we believed was just hard teething. 
Fevers, restless nights, screams of pain, decreased appetite, etc. It all seemed correlated to the four teeth she was cutting (two of which were molars; poor girl). 
The only upside was the extra snuggles we were receiving! Oh that girl wouldn't leave our arms, or be without her favorite blanket! 

But by Saturday when she woke up from her nap with a higher temperature than she'd had all week, and hadn't been drinking/eating really at all, resulting in decreased wet diapers, Travis took her to the E.R. 
They ended up feeling she needed to be admitted and stay the night, hooked to IV fluids in order to get all her levels up. So with the help of our sweet angel friends and neighbors here, the boys were taken to an impromptu sleep over, while I spent the night in the hospital with Addie. 

Little miss was hooked to the IV fluids and she just looked miserable. She kept calling out my name when they'd do something to her she didn't like, and it was simultaneously so sweet and heartbreaking all at once. 

It was a long night, but I kept thinking how grateful I was that this is the worst thing I've experienced with my children... well... hospital wise (Aaron had those terrifying seizures that always had me on the phone with 911, but even those weren't life threatening and were just neurological misfires, as the doctor said). 
My Addie being poked and prodded, and scared, and feeling so yucky was only temporary, not life threatening, and so easy to treat. 
And it was all brought on by a simple virus, not just teething. 

I instantly began thinking of my family and friends who post updates on their little ones and the trials they experience as a daily part of their lives; I bawled. I haven't been able to stop bawling for them. How hard would it be to watch your little one suffer on a daily basis, or know that the pain was going to be a constant part of their lives?? 
They are so strong. 
You know who you are. 

I'm starting to tear up, again!! 

So anyhow, Addie was monitored and checked on once an hour and in the morning her fever was mostly gone. She had a wet diaper. And the doctor felt confident that with a little more time, she'd return to herself, as her body battled away the virus. So that afternoon we returned home to very happy brothers, and one daddy who desperately wanted her to cuddle in his arms, but she wouldn't leave my lap. 
We have had overwhelming support from friends that are constantly checking in on us, and that have brought meals. I almost feel guilty over the fuss, but at the same time, I really needed them and just couldn't say no. 
We are so blessed to know so many good, spirits following people. 

Since coming home the recovery has been rough. Until today she refused to eat and drink, and everything I tried was instantly turned down, or she'd try my trick once, learn it, and refuse to repeat it. But today she ate willingly, she drank a bit more, and she had good diapers! And last night she mostly slept well!!! So I think we're on the mend! 
(Just as I said this she has started to cry in the other room :(...... 
..... 
okay, back. One thing that blows from this sickness period is she has developed bad habits! 
1. Her sleeping is a mess... completely off. And she wants to sleep in my arms, or be taken out of her crib during the night. 
2. She absolutely won't sleep without her favorite blanket... I don't know how I feel about this. 
3. Her shrieking scream. She began this ear piercing scream while sick and the pain was too much, or the fevers were spiked. And we'd respond to it immediately. Now that she's feeling better, the scream has just become a way to try and get us to respond... and it's awful! 
4. Tired and mean! I love my little one, BUT because she's so tired and only barely feeling better, she is irritable beyond measure. She hits, kicks, thrashes, screams, etc. Today was so mean while I was making dinner that I literally had to carry her back to her room and close the door (she can open it right away), just so she'd understand (maybe) that she was going to be put away in "time out" if she was mean. Don't know that it soaked in (of course not), but it did buy me about 40 seconds in the kitchen without her screaming at me again. sigh.


And all this is going on while i'm thinking... okay we have two weeks to my due date, so can we get past this, get back to where we were BEFORE this past week, and perhaps give me a shred of confidence that I can handle another baby on top of this mess?! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment