Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Travis's Residency Graduation

11 years of marriage: Check (well, next month)
One dog: check
Two Bachelor's degrees: Trav's in German Linguistics, and mine in Accounting
Moves: 8 times.... two countries, 3 states (5 states for Travis)
Travel: 13 countries, and 27 states (between all of us)
Children: Check, check, check, and check
Jobs: Waiting tables, summer sales, home construction, roofing, State Hospital, and Medical student/resident.
Bought a home: check
Broken bones: Travis's shattered foot (in 5 places), broken toes, my broken finger, two fractured feet, three broken tailbones, and one fractured rib.
Church callings: Ward building coordinators, 2nd counselor in the Branch Presidency, YW/YM advisors/leaders, primary workers, compassionate service coordinator, Institute teacher, Sunday school teacher, and bulletin coordinators.
Family: Building a Christ centered home. Have days where we feel like awesome kick-butt parents, and far MORE days where we struggle to appreciate the unique challenges that are a part of being parents, spouses, human beings, and living in this day and age. But That's Life :)
Graduate Programs: one Master's in Public Administration and Medical school
Residency Completion: ChEcK!!!!!!!!!

Ten years ago Travis and I were two young adults kids, honestly. We were just playing house and dreaming big... and none of those dreams happened the way we planned them :D
It has all turned out so much better than we could have hoped for. 

And I'm not saying that our path is one that has been spoiled or easy or joyous each step of the way. BUT it also hasn't been unbearable, worse than anyone else, or forced me to wish I had a different life. I believe we all had a hand in choosing our path before we came to this earth. Sometimes I feel like I must have been too chicken to accept large trials for this life as I watch those I know go through trials that I can't even imagine experiencing. But sometimes I feel like the hardships I have gone through have almost broken me. But through each of them I've found comfort in the scriptures that God will never give us more than we can handle. I feel comforted in knowing He never leaves me to struggle on my own. I feel gratitude that from the moment Jesus left this earth, he left the Holy Ghost to comfort us and communicate to us the messages the Lord wants us to know throughout our lives. 

I'm not going to lie. The past decade has been the best years of my life, but the HARDEST times I've ever experienced. For 8(ish) years we've been growing our family, but we now feel our family is complete (unless the Lord has other plans we don't know about!!). I pursued my educational accomplishments, and now that's done. And Travis has been worked to the BONE (including all those broken ones he's had) in order to follow this path.... this unexpected and unplanned path that we've felt God had in store for him, and he's done. He did it. When we applied for a foreign medical program it was a 50/50 chance that we'd come out of it with a residency; however, he felt confident he could do it. And I felt it too. 

On June 26th, Travis was presented with one of the most expensive pieces of paper he'll ever own (what with all those student loans we now get to embrace!), and then greeted back at our table with a giant hug from his two boys, who couldn't have been more proud of their dad! And we were also blessed to have his parents and a few siblings there to share in this big day. The dinner was held in a ballroom at the Frank Lloyd Wright Hotel and everyone looked wonderful. The food was delicious. And the after party was a bitter sweet moment as we acknowledged the accomplishments of his residency class, as well shed a few tears over the fact that everyone is moving now. We've never been the ones to stay while everyone else leaves.... I don't like it!! 

Here's to you Travis. 
Here's to us as a couple. 
To us as a family! 
And to the Lord, for all that he has given us and seen us through!!! 










got my hair done!





And here is my degree that just showed up in the mail today!
It's now official! 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment