Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Utah trip: Part 1

The Drive to Utah: We took the short 2hr drive to Minneapolis where Trav's parents, Garett and Gloria, and the kids, Travis and I all spent the day exploring the Mall of America, enjoying dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe (where I almost ordered an alcoholic oreo Choc. Shake... oops! That would have turned a few heads as I was also breastfeeding Avery, under the cover, as I ordered!). The next morning we began what was supposed to be a 13hr travel to day to Mount Rushmore and then to Casper, WY where we'd spend the night. However, this trip we were pulling a camping trailer and we quickly discovered that we could only drive 2hrs before needing more gas... and every time we stopped EVERYONE had to pee, stretch their legs, and dosie-doh around each other. So we rolled into Mt. Rushmore at the time we should have been checking into Casper... and we rolled into Casper at 2:00am... for a long 18hr day of travel.
The next morning, after very little sleep thanks to the longer than expected day and an Adeline who couldn't get back to sleep after the crazy long travel day, Maddix hopped back in the truck with us instead of riding with Gma and Gpa. All three boys were in the front of the truck, and us four girls were in the back; yes, Addie, me in the middle, Avery on the right, and the dog across my feet... it's not a trip I'm looking forward to re-creating. This day we drove to Independence Rock where we enjoyed stretching our legs and running around before completing another 7 1/2hrs of travel and reaching Utah! We were welcomed with a dinner at Travis's sisters and TWO absolutely gorgeous rainbows!!!
*I also want to record how amazing the kids did. During that 18hrs, Aaron only watched 2 movies and Maddix just listened to Harry Potter all day in the grandparent's car. And the next day they played toys and only watched 2 movies. And the girls did remarkably well; aside from Adeline who was growing a bit jealous of Avery, who got to leave her seat during feeding times.





I loved THIS view
Independence Rock



 Independence Rock





Day 1 of Utah Trip: Travis took the boys for a bike ride, and then we drove to Eagle Mountain to set up shop at the Condo we'll be staying at for the summer. I sat on the front patio and watched the sunset with Aaron.


his creations

Day 2: Travis wasted no time exploring the biking trails near our area; however, he misjudged the difference in Utah's dry dirt compared to our moist and forgiving dirt, and he took a really painful wreck that tore up his side, further injured his ribs, and caused him to quickly purchase some protective gear. We then spent the day at Mackenzie's, soaking in time at their farm, swimming in their pool, and catching up! Travis, despite being banged up, decided to still go bike the Payson trails, and only took a small spill that time. THEN he had a grocery fiasco that he never wants to repeat, and has caused him to never shop at Smith's again! Thanks to Jenny, my 2nd mom, for helping us out!

 The Views from the Payson trails that Travis tried out


That diaper!!! lol!!



Day 3: Recovery with Harry Potter movies, CAFE RIO, organizing our things, and then spent the night at the Johnson's so they could use the truck to block off their normal spot on the parade route. While there that night, my actual diploma arrived in the mail; that piece of paper actually brought tears to my eyes.
She was looking a little like a once well known
dictator here in this photo

Day 4: I was SOoOo excited to dress us all in our outfits for the 4th. I was then equally excited to bike with the kids over to the parade route; however, this trip became a little more difficult once we reached a part of the river trail that was all torn up from construction and we were forced out into traffic the rest of the way. That afternoon I had the most AMAZING experience: I had my first ever massage. Yes, my mom is a massage therapist, so how does that work? Well she always rubbed our legs and backs at home, so we never went. But this was better than anything I ever experienced with those measly (no offense, mom) rubs she gave us at home. At her office, she was so awesome with her hot rocks, cents, and an actual full body rub for over an hour that she gifted me as a graduation present! I already can't wait for my next one.
I had an opportunity later that day to take a trip to Walmart with Gma Eileen, and I was grateful for the one-on-one time I got to spend with her. Then that night while we drove home, we all enjoyed watching the dozens of fireworks exploding across the darkened valley; it was just wonderful.



Fam. photo






firework viewing





She is enjoying her Gloria time


Day 5: AaRoN's BiRtHdAy!!! Aaron requested another Paw Patrol themed birthday; however, this birthday was "lame," and a "letdown." He has to wait for most his presents until we get home, and they were all leaving on their camping trip that afternoon, so he was feeling a little overlooked, despite the floor full of balloons, the giant puppy present he did get to open, the giant breakfast, and the birthday nachos... he was really getting me down.





 Travis dropped the girls and I off down in Spanish Fork where we spent the day playing with the Chatterton's and we spent the night there. Here's the best part, I accidentally forgot my phone in the truck and ended up not having it the whole weekend. And beside a few moments that I reflexively went to pull it out, I LOVED not having it!! I really miss the days before we had smart phones, despite the amazing things they do to simplify my life....

Day 6: Again, no phone. We went to my mom's where spent time with Aunty Brenna and Uncle Colton. The girls had a hard time warming up to my brother, and once again, I think they had an issue with his facial hair (like they did with Travis's). We spent the night there.

Day 7: We went to Sacrament meeting at my mom's ward, and honestly we BARELY made it until after the sacrament before having to rush Addie out of the building; She. Was. A. Demon. Granted, she's been going to bed SO late, shortening her naps, and waking up super early; sharing a room has been hard for her this year. The boys ended up staying at my mom's for the night when they came to pick us up.

"Since our tickets are free, I think we should
purchase some shirts. Think about it, when our kids
are in high school, these are the shirts they'll
steal from us to wear!"
Day 8-10: St. George and Vegas Bound!!! My mom and sister kept the boys and Nala while Lori, Travis, the girls and I headed down south. Brenna took the boys to parks, her softball game, and played with them and the dog out back; she was awesome. My mom set up a tent that the boys and Nala slept in in the basement! And then as the grand finale, they took the boys (for birthday treats) to a trampoline park where they had a BLAST!
Meanwhile, we drove to the condo in St. George and spent the night there. And after the girls finally got to sleep, we made it to the pool to swim... for 20 mins before it closed. The next morning we continued on toward Vegas, with Garett and Gloria, and enjoyed a day on the strip, people watching in the lazy river, dinner and then an AWESOME Aerosmith concert!!!! That man can rock! HE can MOVE! I have a slight old man crush on him! And he is seriously 71 yrs old! Trav thinks he made a deal with the devil to hold up the way he has and still be performing with his band after 50yrs!! In the morning we ate at a Parisian buffet before heading back to St. George to pick up the girls and drive back to Utah County to pick up the boys.








One of my favorite pictures! 


 




At the Bellagio water fountains





 The trampoline park for the boys


 I just can't get over how pretty it is out here! 

Day 11: Recovery day: movies, books, naps, a quick bike ride/stroller walk for the kids and I, and Travis tried out some Rock Canyon Park Trails; he said he climbed 2,000ft. during his ride. We then ended the night with games and pizza with my friends from Chuck-a-rama. Travis, T, and I grabbed snow cones while Drew, Steph, and the boys played a crazy loud game of Mario Kart... and then the kids stayed up WAY to late because they just couldn't sleep! 






No comments:

Post a Comment