Sunday, September 5, 2021

Our Utah Trip- 3Weeks of nonstop fun!

I feel this way about pretty much every trip to Utah, but it was the best one to date. And as always, there is so much to remember and try to report… it’s harder to emerge because the pictures never load in order either, so here is my best go of it!
I think I’ll write each days description and then leave a few pictures in between the next description, so that it’s not so much reading snd Sooo many pictures to follow. 

Ps. There are so many pictures here, but not even half of how many I took! 

The drive: We left Friday around 1:00pm and soon found out that the large trailer we’d decided to pull (why do we do these things to ourselves??) was going to slow down and increase the price of our trip more than we’d realized. We had to fill up with gas every 3hrs or less, as well not drive any faster than 70mph…. Somehow despite the endless stops and two extra hours it took to get there the kids were excellent. And no vomit this trip! Some close calls, but we made it!! Plus, we took our little YW babysitter with us so she could go spend a week with her sister and it was nice to have another set of hands on deck. 







Saturday, Day 1: We rolled into town around 9:00am and we’re tired! Travis and I passed out. And then Travis was out right to work with some…. Landscaping! Ironic and fitting. The evening though was this highlight. Jake (as good as family) came over with his giant dog and we ended up having a puppy party and some wiffle/baseball in the backyard.  As well as meeting my newest nephew for the first time. 






Sunday, Day 2: We had  the opportunity to go listen to Gpa Vaughn speak in one of the BYU student wards that are in his stake. While we were there Travis leaned over to me and asked, “how does it feel to be the prettiest girl in the room?” He’s a keeper. And then that night we had a Johnson Fam dinner, as well as attended a blessing for little Lukie. While there, the girls LOVED riding around on Aunt Janelle’s wheelchair. Oh and Gpa Herb was missing from his assisted living facility and didn’t make it to the blessing! Found him later. 









Monday, Day 3: We played ball with the boys in the morning and then loaded up and drove to St. George. We took Aaron, Avery, C. Allie, C. Brigham, and C. Dallin; we labeled ourselves the “Party car.” We should have called ourselves the “Potty Car!” Lol. But really it was fun. And only 3hrs… we can do that twice in a day back home for baseball. 
After a TERRIBLE wait at Walmart for grocery pickup (took one HOUR to receive our 4 bags of groceries!) we made it to our GORGEOUS rental! I loved that it was big enough for all the families to have their own rooms, we well as two perfectly sized kid bunks for all the cousins! Addie and Allie took the top bunks in their rooms, Avery and Aaron took the bottoms. Brigham and Dallin took their tops, and Maddix and Keili took their bottoms. Oh, and every room had its own bathroom; heck yah! 







Tuesday, Day 4: Travis and I woke up early to fit in our mountain biking. Oh man, it kicked my butt. But the rising sun and views were so worth it. We cleaned up quick and all went breakfast at this place with a strange name I can’t remember, but the food/service was superb. We spent the afternoon at the complex pool (which was awesome), the men all made their specialty pizzas while the cousins all played games together on the upstairs landing and balcony; and then after the kids went to bed several of us went over to Snow Canyon to “hike” around. And then that night, my sister-in-laws and I stayed up talking until …. 4:00am! But it was an experience I’ll never forget and cherish so much. 






Wednesday, Day 5: This was BRYCE DAY! Travis’s brother graduated college as well as had a bday, so the day was about him. After travis and Aaron returned from early morning mountain biking the men went golfing, us ladies took all the kids to the Thunder … something… splash pad/ park; it was so much fun, and equally as hot! Again, we went to the pools, 
And then that night Uncle Cam and Aunt Shauna came over to babysit while we took Bryce out to dinner at one of his favorite restaurants. Afterward we played games until late and then Cam and Shauna headed home. 







Thursday, Day 6: Travis took Bryce out biking to start the morning. We packed, cleaned, and hit the road by lunch. Our car load decided to stop in Cedar City for lunch; this is when the rain began. I didn’t mention before, but we drove through a flash flood on the way down, days after a super bad storm killed lots of people. And now we were about to head home in yet ANOTHER flash flood. The lightening was incredb(ly intense!). 

















Friday, Day 7: Zoo Day with Gpa Vaughn/ Gma Lori and family. Big ol’ softy dad/uncle ended up buying some littles their own stuffed zoo animals that made their day! Eventually we headed home with some VERY tired littles and then spent the night hanging out with U. Garett and A. Gloria.









Saturday, Day 8: Travis and did some light biking up the Provo canyon, spent the afternoon with our kiddos, and then headed up to Salt Lake to stay the night at The Little America. Our only outing was a walk to the mall for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory; on the way home we passed a guy who was passed out in the grass from heroin…. And other than that we spent the entire night wrapped in bed…. Watching movies. And it was glorious. Knowing we had nowhere to be, nothing we HAD to do, and that we could stay up late without anyone waking us up; it was the BEST! 
And while we were gone, the kids went to Gma Eileen’s to celebrate her birthday. 










Sunday, Day 9: We met up with Garett and Gloria for Utah’s best buffet breakfast; ugh I love the food more there than anywhere else I’ve ever eaten. We took a long Sunday drive, just the two of us, through Utah and the canyons; it was the most beautiful day after some rain and really cleared the air.  After an afternoon with the kids and marshmallow gun wars with A. Janelle, it was time to send travis packing back to Iowa; the girls bawled the whole drive down to my mom’s, which ended up being during another INTENSE rainstorm! I hated the drive.  









Monday, Day 10: I woke up and did my sprints to prepare for my half marathon. I took Lily and we had so much fun together. We spent the morning at the Chatterton’s meeting their new puppy, and then we spent the afternoon with A. Tayla snd U. Colton, scootering around outside and then getting an art lesson. We picked up Cafe Rio for dinner and enjoyed the first of our Kung Foo Panda series we watched while at my mom’s for the week. 









Tuesday, Day 11: U. Colton joined us for a trip to the Solash pads with our friends, the Blanchard’s. As well as a visit to see Grandpa Herb in his new living quarters. We love him so much.  I took a LONG nap with the girls while the boys played axis and allies with Colton. 









Wednesday, Day 12: Gma Donna took the day off and went with us to the Splash pads in Spanish Fork where we met up with the Chatterton’s. The kids had a BLAST! We played for hours and they didn’t want to leave once it was time to go! From there we went to The Barn for BYU Creamery ice cream; it was a wonderful time. After naps we used what little energy we had left to play at the little park in my mom’s complex before going back for dinner and a movie. 







Thursday, Day 13: We took Colton with us to my grandparents in Pleasant Grove. Maddix and I went with my Grandpa Kent to hit golf balls at the driving range. Meanwhile, Aaron received a wonderful blanket from my grandmother for getting baptized. The evening was spent back in Spanish Fork at the Chatterton’s for swimming and a bbq. After I put the kids to bed I headed over to pick Vaughn up and we headed to Salt Lake to pickup Travis from the airport! Yay!! 








Friday, Day 14: The kids flipped to see Travis was home! The smoke also arrived… and it was so bad that we couldn’t even see the mountains next to the house! Travis still took Maddix biking in Sundance for the day and the kids and I snuggled/napped together in front of the tv most the day. We were so so tired!! We got our back to play for a short minute, and then travis and I met up with the Blanchard’s for a dinner date. 










Saturday, Day 15: Garett drove in from Vegas and met up with us in the morning to play ball with the boys and the girls and I played on the playground. Afterward Travis and I rushed to the temple (in grumpy moods) where we did a sealing session with some of his family. We finished up with ice cream at her Creamery. Back at my mom’s we threw her a bday party. Colton grabbed decorations, I made dinner, and Brenna brought the dessert. It was a great time. And then travis and I snuck up to RC Willie where we bought a new couch! 








Sunday,  Day 16: Torrey, Ut. We had a reunion at the park, visited with Grandpa Bob, napped, played board games with John and Brooke, and then Travis and I took a walk around town and I reminisced over old memories before driving back to my mom’s. Back at my mom’s she set up a tent that she and the boys ended up spending the night in; she’s a trooper! 











Monday, Day 17: We spent the day cleaning, doing laundry, taking all our stuff back to the Johnson’s, and eventually getting ready for pictures with my Dad and his side of the family. As we were leaving though, we received a call that Lily had escaped through a hole in the fence of the backyard she’d been staying in, and she’d been gone all afternoon. The family she stayed with looked for several hours, but it was a couple of hours after we were informed and been praying that we received another call that they had found her. He’d been driving around with the window down, just calling her name, and she came running up to the truck. Our prayers were truly answered! We drove down to Springville to get her and then made it back up to my dad’s to celebrate his birthday with all the siblings. 










Tuesday, Day 18: Deer Valley Mountain Biking Day! Travis and I spent the day riding to our hearts content (more like until my legs gave out). My favorite parts of the day were riding faster than I ever have, having Travis be royalty impressed with my speed, and God keeping me from majorly wrecking myself when I began to land poorly from how fast I was going! We enjoyed a delicious lunch up there and then later met up with my friends for dinner and games (pic not featured because I looked like I weighed 200lbs. Travis’s words were, “I don’t know what happens in the photo; I swear you don’t look like that in real life!” Ha ha). 








Wednesday, Day 19: Travis and I picked Lily up for a day of hiking. We took her to hike the Y with us, and she was wore out! We got to say hi to Trav’s aunt Brenda and Gma Eileen when we dropped Lily off, then we went to lunch at Mi Ranchitos. After lunch we went back to my dad’s where we had a bbq, he set up his bouncer, and we just enjoyed fine with his family. 














Thursday, Day 20: My dad and I started the morning together on a 10mile run (that altitude though!) that took us around the new Saratoga temple, and then down along the lake; it made me so happy to run, even though we had all stayed up taking most the night! It just reminded me of all the times we used to run together. Back at the house we cleaned and packed up again while waiting did Tayla to arrive. Then she, Travis, the boys, and I set off to hike Stewart falls. I was surprised at what a little mountain goat Aaron was as he and Travis pulled ahead and lead the way. And I enjoyed chatting with Tayla and Maddix along the way. Once we finished, we picked up the girls and b-lined it to Orem where they all did a swimming day with the Johnsons while went and unloaded all our stuff to the Johnsons and began all the laundry. And to end the night, we let the boys, and even Addie, stay ho late and watch the white Sox vs. Yankees ball game, played on the Field of Dreams. Addie was so into the game, or perhaps she was more into the foot rub her daddy was giving her (what? I never get those!). 









Friday, Day 20: The day started off by dropping the Expedition to the dealer for an oil change and then Travis and I rode our bikes along the River trial back home. I walked the dogs. My mom came shortly after and took the kids to play while we continued packing/prepping to drive to Iowa. A little while later my dad came to take the kiddos for a final day together and keep them over night. They had so much fun with he and Wendy. They build puzzles, pillow forts, went to thanksgiving point, and stayed up late at an outdoor movie in the park (where Addie completely lost it; go figure!). Meanwhile, we did all the travel prep, including picking up the trailer, saying goodbye to my grandparents, picking up new couch, going to Costco, and eventually to an impromptu dinner with a bunch of Trav’s family that we haven’t been lucky enough to see in a long time. So it was a great way to end our trip (if only I hadn’t been so stressed about getting everything done that I worked myself into a breakdown that requires Travis putting me to bed! He’s such a good man.) 















Saturday, Day 21: I took Lily out for a quick 2 1/2mile run before our long drive. I took Nala for a cook down. It both cases I tried to take in the smells, the morning sunrise, and the mountains; I always miss those mountains. And this time I just couldn’t stop tearing up and feeling so homesick over all the family we were about to leave behind, again. My mom dropped my brother off so he could ride to Iowa with us for a quick visit and I had a hard time saying goodbye. Then my dad brought the kids back just in time to load up and go. I had an extra hard time saying goodbye to him because it had been two years since I’d seen him, thanks to COVID. And then Vaughn and Lori showed up in time to see us off. It. Never. Gets. Easier. To. Leave. 
Everyone did such a good job on the drive home. Almost had some throw up but didn’t. Almost had some fights, but avoided them. Almost had scary weather, but missed it. And almost lost Lily at a rest stop, but got her back! It was a pretty successful drive as Travis and I switched off every 3hrs at gas stops. And I loved getting to talk to my brother in the middle of the night while everyone else was sleeping. 

And then eventually, we made it home. And I was so thrilled fo see our neighborhood. To see how high the corn was across the street. And to walk into my perfectly clean home! And it instantly felt right to be back. 









And just like that another Utah trip is in the books. 
Forgive any typos. I typed this on my phone over the passed three weeks and don’t have it in me to go back and check it all! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment