Sunday, December 23, 2012

Time is Flying

Where has time gone the last few days? I feel like the last month or so has just dragged on, and then BAM tomorrow is Christmas eve!
I had so many errands to run, in such a short amount of time! But I will get to that in just a minute. Here is a less than detailed account of the Christmas party since I can't seem to remember now all the good things I was going to write:
I finally got ready for the day! I was trying to get a picture of my holiday nails with the outfit, but we failed. 
We also ran out of time to cook our sugar cookies since they have to freeze and set, so we walked our way to the church so that the dough to continue to freeze, I forgot the cookie cutters, so I had help making shapes before we cooked them.
We barely fit everyone in
We had an authentic Polish Christmas dinner. It started with a beat-root soup that they have several versions of that they eat all the way until Christmas eve, then they have a special version just for that day. We followed it up with steamed cabbage leaves stuffed with fluffy potato with sauce on the outside. Sounds weird, but it tasted nothing like those foods and was pretty good. Next there was a fish/veggie casserole and a jar of fish parts (complete with bones and the eyes! I snuck my portion into a napkin and threw it away:) Then there was some basic chicken, grain bread, and all sorts of pastries and juice. the whole night was full of wonderful company, conversation, and new food. Plus we met our new Elder, Elder Peacock, from Ceder City:)
The next day we got ready, did some chores, and then ran some errands. On our way out the door we FINALLY mailed Maddix's Christmas letter to Santa!
Maddix was a little less than pleasant Friday on our Shopping exertion, so we blessedly took him to Seena's apt at 9:00am and made our walk to the grocery store. See, in Europe people celebrate the holidays; nothing is open, literally. So Saturday morning we made our way to buy all the food we could possible need/eat before it spoils until next Thurs, possibly Friday. Our grocery stores will be closed all next week except for one day before they head into the New Years Celebration. Brother. So we walked a mile to the store, fought the battle, and then carried all our groceries home through the falling snow (we were feeling energetic and happy to not have to carry Maddix, so we decided we could carry all the groceries back to the house!). We packed away all the food, and then made our 2 mile walk down to the mall. 
It was worth the walk through the icy cold
We walked in and there were rows of Christmas markets set up everywhere. There were lights and Christmas trees lining the walls. People everywhere were scurrying back and forth between stands. There were meats, pastries, spices, and then there was the bread stand. I kid you not I almost bought a wheel of bread. Seriously the size of my cars tire! But we didn't buy it because there was no way we could eat that much bread before it went bad, let alone carry it home. We made our way upstairs to hit a few stores and were stopped by more stands full of homemade clothing, ornaments, jewelry, and then there were these paintings. BEAUTIFUL. And the frames they came in were hand crafted from wood. The man saw us perusing and I said I wanted one but had no way to get it home to the states. He said if we wanted to just buy the painting and leave the frame he would cut the price and continued to show us how we could roll up the oil canvas and store it in a tube; we were sold. -I will post a picture after I receive it for Christmas- 
When we went to Pick Maddix up we found him chilling on the couch with Seena and Ahkshatha watching Christmas cartoons and was full on chocolates/caramels, pb&j sandwich, a banana and a half, and two cups of milk! We got him home and he crashed for a nap and we pretty much did ourselves. 

What else? Today I had to give a talk in Church. Travis is loving having no school, and is cooking up a storm! He is the best. He has tracked down ingredients and put together several recipes and is going to make us Cafe Rio for Christmas; the number one thing I have been dying for since we got here. Tonight he also made his first ever cheese ball for tomorrow and it is delicious so far! We taste tested it of course. Well I think that's it, but I know once I post this I will find something super funny, or a mile marker from Maddix and will wish I added it. Oh well, such is life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment