Sunday, April 6, 2014

Conference Weekend

Fewer times in life make me at peace, and generally happy than that of conference weekend. 
In Poland I gained a real testimony of the importance of preparing yourself to hear the words before hand, and not just sitting in the room. I know that when we think about the trials, topics, and desires in our life that we want to have discussed, then pray about them, then the Lord WILL make those known to you. 
Back here in the states I have always worked Saturday mornings and never really thought to NOT work. I just catch a little of the first session, with the thought that I would read the rest online later (though that rarely happens). Well, this time I was able to request a shift that didn't start until 5:00, so I was able to catch all of Saturday's sessions... as well as meet so many kind people from the Priesthood session. 
Another reason, I found this go around, that makes me love conference weekend is that there was a missionary reunion for Travis's mission, and we were able to go. I'm not going to lie, I was a little bummed that I was't going to know anyone there, but to my luck, the moment we walked in Trav's cousin, Vance (they both served in Germany) came over and I was able to sit with his wife and son.
Sweet and funny little Max

This kid is a character

Travis and Pres Webb.  
Also nice about conference weekend is just the time to be a family. I didn't work. Travis didn't study. Maddix has done phenominally at paying attention. We set up a little table next to the couch along with crayons, playdough, a white board, and alphabet cards. He has done so well staying on the couch, quietly entertaining himself while also listening. Every once in awhile he'll repeat something the speaker says, or ask a question about something they are talking about and I feel so proud that he is taking an interest. It's taken me 20+ years to learn how to be interested... he gets it at three: 
See? Completely focused... :) 
And there was some quality family bike riding in between sessions yesterday and today. That may be taboo to some to bike on a Sunday, but if you could've been on that bike ride with us you would have felt the spirit! The weather today is cloudy and as we left it was lightly sprinkling. I put on the Piano Guy music as we left and the mood was set. To ride the Murdock Canal Trail, looking over the valley, as classical music is playing was seriously peaceful; it was a moment I truly loved being out there with my boys. 
Then again, on the way home it started down pouring for the last 15mins and we were soaked! Maybe that was punishment for being out on a Sunday ;) Then again, all I could think of as we pedaled against the storm was
"Don't wait for the rainbow to be happy; thank God for the rain!"
- Pres. Uchdorf's talk from the 3rd Session. 

No comments:

Post a Comment