Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Just the journey

If there is anything that I have learned in my short 26 years of life so far is that while you're floating high each day enjoying the beauties that God has provided us, this is an imperfect world and something is always going to come along and knock you down flat. Sometimes it's something as big as unemployment or physical ailments. Sometimes it's less severe and roots more towards your own personal problems (like hormones and emotions). 
Nothing is wrong, and we are good. 
It's just one of those moments in life that are hard. Travis's rotation is hard. He is gone 14hrs a day, six days a week and I guess I let myself think that after his test was over we MIGHT have a little more normalcy. Maddix is hard. He is in another stage; however, when I try to see it from his view: this is a little boy that in 4 years of life has flown internationally a dozen times, visited a dozen countries, lived abroad, has moved every 18 months on the dot, has made and lost friends, had and lost his daddy repeatedly, and has a mom who is trying her hardest- but is herself imperfect and learning as she goes along. As I struggle trying to be a Med school wife and make the best of it, I have to remember that I have 22 years over my little man. And he really is such a good boy. 
As I said, we are good, and we are happy, but we are still trying to figure all of this out. 
So while we have our good days, we also have our bad. But we're still moving forward. I was given some good advice this week that really formed concretely in my mind. And this doesn't apply to me because I am a woman and it's my "Role," but because this is what i have chosen, want, and live for: 

"First and foremost I am a MOM. Second, I am a WIFE. Everything else is extra clutter and if it gets in the way of me performing the best I can in my first two jobs, then it needs to be dropped and gotten rid of." 

I really like this. It helped me refocus and although this post may seem irrelevant and not for anyone but me, I put it here because I want to be able to look back and remember WHO I AM, and what I am living for. Yes, I have talents and interests outside of my children and my husband. I'm not losing myself by choosing these jobs as my first priorities. It's just the opposite, I feel like when I am succeeding in these categories I am my happiest me. Because I WANT, NEED, and CRAVE to be the best mother I can be. And I WORK, PRAY, and CATER to being the best wife I can be because I married the best man, who is my best friend, and deserves nothing less. 

I am not going to lie, Med school is the HARDEST things we've done in our lives; this may sound like an easy trial to go through, but you just don't know until you're actually in the shoes and walking the path. I know it's not the worst out trial out there, and I wouldn't trade it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get to me. SO here it is in writing: My ramblings towards life as we know it. It makes no sense, and it is maybe a little down, but I have to know when I look back that everyday wasn't honky dory. I want to remember what we went through so I never take for granted the blessings we are always receiving. 
So there it is: Life is hard, but it's beautiful. That's mortality. And thankfully because of Our Savior we don't have to stay in this loop of heartaches~to~happiness~heartaches~to~happiness forever. I take so much comfort in knowing that after all this effort in this life, there is a payoff worth any amount of trials in this life. And I'm grateful my trials are my own. 
I was having a really down day when I stumbled on this
picture. It brightened my soul, and still does each
time I see it. It was a tender mercy for sure.
I am thankful for vegetables, and having a Costco so close to us!

I'm grateful for Aaron's humor and tender moments at 
Just the right times
Aaron thought my pants needed to be pulled higher

 He noticed me snapping a picture of him and began pulling faces
without making a noise or even looking at me. 
I loved that moment.






The dog was a good stepping
stool

I am grateful for my health. Even though I am not where I want to be, I have to be grateful that I am healthy and capable to getting up to chase my kids, go for a run, and do anything I want to

I am grateful that we are within walking distance of the most wonderful park, and that on this particular day, when we really needed it, it was full of kids that Maddix got to play with. And I'll never forget the joy on his face as he ran over yelling, "Mom! I did it! I finally made friends here! I'm so happy!!"



I am overly grateful that I finally got over my fear of driving by myself here and that
the beach is a simple 45minute drive for us. 

I love my boys
It's our happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment