Sunday, December 4, 2016

Part 2: Decking the Halls and striking a chorus!

Part 2
~Decking the halls~

We are so extremely excited for Christmas; words cannot describe. 
School work? No thanks. Finals? Rushed through them. 
Now that school is done we've dove in 
and we're ready for Christmas!!

All our family sent home their presents with us so each day the boys stare at their gifts sitting under the tree. They're good to leave them alone, but as the lights twinkling from the tree reflect in their eyes, you can just see the anticipation; we're definitely counting down the days. 

This weekend the boys and I went to Clear Lake to see Santa! After an hour in line, we gave Santa our Christmas cards, and were out in about 30seconds. That night Travis wanted to drive to this town "next to us" to see the festival of lights... about 15 mins outside of town we lost service. We drove an hour into the middle of nowhere before stumbling into this little town with its lights; it took us all of 2 1/2mins to drive through the whole lights area.... it was just a few stands in a park! The boys started crying as soon as they realized it was already done and time to drive home ha ha ha; despite it all, it ended up being such a fun day and made for a funny family memory! 

This year I'm extra excited because I feel like our hearts are truly in the right place: centered on the Lord. 
 I really want my boys to grow up with a heart of service. After finding it hard to serve in New York, this year the flood gates have opened and service opportunities are ripe for the taking! I'm also grateful for the emphasis the church as put on #LightingtheWorld;
( if you haven't checked this out, visit lds.org and you'll find it on their main page )

On top of Feeling Christ's love this Holiday season, every 1st of December we are blessed to celebrate Travis's birthday. We love that hard working man, and just think the world of him. 
(For his crazy birthday story, you can read it at the bottom; it's long, so it's optional;)










Catching the first snowflakes of the season



Getting their letters ready for Santa




For his birthday this year Maddix and I took a date to pick out Daddy's presents. 
Aaron and I spent the day cooking/baking.

By the time Travis got home and we were just sitting down to dinner, the doorbell ran; it was a young (sales)man whom I'd agreed to have come over and clean our little area rug as a promotion for their vacuum and so he could earn points for a trip (he was supposed to come at 4pm and showed up at 7pm)... 
... BIG GIGANTIC MISTAKE...
He listens and commented within our conversations over dinner. With the start and stop vacuuming we couldn't really talk. He continually asked questions and pulled me away from the table to look at the vacuum no matter how many times I reiterated he was only their to earn his points, not sell me a vacuum. He used my phone to "call for a ride," but instead called his boss to negotiate a "best deal ever," and now they have my number. When I finally thought he was leaving because he'd wrapped the vacuum all up... he went into my hall and asked where the nearest mattress was so he could show me what the vacuum could REALLY do!! 
I told him to call for a ride and leave. 
When the boss (also a kid) showed up, he made himself at home; they had no intention on leaving, even though i'd excused myself to put the boys to bed, and I told them to leave... 
... I flat out told them no, and to leave, and somehow they thought it would be good to say this, 
"Look I know you're just a stay-at-home mom, and you probably don't like asking your husband for more of his money than you have too, but let's face it, you probably do all the cleaning around here cuz it's YOUR job, so don't you think you deserve this vacuum; I'm sure he'll let you spent a little extra...." 
I WAS SO MAD! 
I once again said "You need to leave, it's my husband's birthday and we get little to no time with him and you can wait on the curb for your ride; i'm throwing you out." They laughed. I text Travis. 
He came. They went to the curb. 
His birthday was ruined. No candles or birthday song. No birthday movie. Just bed. Because it was now 9:30pm. 
Morons. 
And that's the story of how trying to give service can go horribly wrong!! HA, but don't be discouraged. Just don't help out the salesman;)
So we celebrated his birthday the next day and it was MUCH more successful and birthday-ish!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment