Sunday, January 5, 2014

The End of a Good Year

After a wonderful Christmas where we had many opportunities to reflect on our blessings, and spend lots of time with those around us, the time has Already come to say goodbyes.... not just to Travis, but to my Grandma and Grandpa as well. My Grandparent's had their farewell last Sunday and put on their name tags to head to Fiji for an 18 month mission for the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. With all the family in town (minus my sister, Tayla who is also serving a full-time mission in Chicago), we took family photos. I don't have any of those (I'll post later), but I did get a few last photos with my Grandparents. We really enjoyed our Saturday and Sunday with my family; Maddix ran until he dropped and could no longer keep up with all those cousins anymore. The only downside to all the running with the boys was Maddix couldn't find time to take a "Potty Break," and well...

This happened at church.
All we see is one of my cousins take Maddix out, and a few minutes minutes later come back to us with Maddix all wet down his front. When I got him into the bathroom I found that I had no change of clothes.... except for Aaron's tiny 3month old sweat pants!) As you can see from the photo, they someone what worked until we could get out of sacrament.
Farewell to the Grandest of Grandparents
C. Bodee out playing with the kids
Wanted to be a Policeman,
"and all Policemen have a mustache."
Pretty much the past 17 days have been full of back to back family parties and soaking up every minute we could with Travis. It was SO nice to have someone hold Aaron while I ate breakfast, or help Maddix get ready for bed while I fed Aaron. My favorite was knowing that while I was at work, the boys were home with their dad, just enjoying the day.


These boys LOVE having daddy
home

Dinner with the Hatch's
The Men and Boys Goofin' off

Aaron trying to crawl
while Mattix watched him
intensely 

The boys riding a train together
... sharing pretty well:) 

That night was pretty fun, just catching up with them... until, I told Maddix to go upstairs and help clean up the toys; that wasn't the bad part. Maddix heard me coming up the stairs and whispered, "I hear our mom's coming, hurry, shut the door!" At that moment I knew what was coming but it was too late! Mattix stuck his head out his door to see us coming, just as my Maddix slammed the door shut... with his head in the door. It wasn't as bad as it could have been but yes, there were tears shed, and some blood, and some very angry thoughts from me!

Toasting The New Year
Bring on 2014

The R.M. was looking a little
"Sloshed!" 

Goodbye 2013! You were a great year. It's funny to think just how different life has been during each block of the year: To start out I was bed rested in Poland. Then I was traveling around Europe with Kara and my Grandma. Then we did our first 3weeks with out Travis, ever. 
Stayed in St. George for awhile, moved in with the in-laws, and started with two bedrooms. 
We gained a dad, lost a bedroom, gained a brother, and all began sharing one room together. 
We spent many days at the pool, have enjoyed tons of playdates with our friends, big and small, and been fortunate enough to attend several family missionary homecomings and farewells. 

Final Friday
And with another missionary farewell just around the corner for Garett, on Friday we hurried and fit in some more family photos before Travis left; this was to be our last opportunity for at least two years.. 
(I'll post the pictures once I have them, but here are a couple from the 
Capital Building where we took them) 
He was so tired, but really
did his best to be a good
boy

Just leaving the photo shoot. 
 On our way home from the family photo session we went over to City Creek where we picked up an amazing pair of shoes for Travis's late Christmas party, and then ran down to South Jordan where we picked up ex-Elder Mikolyski to go have lunch with us.
Then the reason we chose In-n-out was
part of a plan to tease one of his
classmates who stayed in Poland
over the break and was missing this place
Travis HAD to show him his shoes:)


He was having a great time with "Meekolyski"
Then, after we dropped him off (thanks Chad, for having lunch with us!), we rushed over to drop the boys off before going to the Temple for Garett's Endowment session.  Then after the session we made our way over to Cafe Rio for dinner before collecting the boys and heading home. 
-(Again, photos to come)-

On Our Final Night, Saturday
I had to go to work because there was just NO getting it off. But while I was there (and it was a nice day, regardless) Travis, Maddix, and Aaron met up with the Chatterton's to go to a Jump-on it type place in Orem. I was told the kids had a great time, but when those two boys got together they really had to be watched because they were too brave:). Then after I got off work I met up with them over at Brick Oven where we enjoyed a nice meal and then I had to leave ABRUPTLY with Maddix to "go take a bath," and... once again, NO PHOTOS! FAIL! But to end the night we all read a book together, put the boys to bed and Travis and I just curled up on the couch, wrapped in each other's arms, willing the clock to just-stop-ticking-forward. 

D- DAY
So this brings us to today, THE DAY. We spent the morning packing up the room (because we're moving out), taking care of last minute odds and ends, and then all too quickly, driving Travis back to the airport to say goodbye. Maddix did so well telling his dad goodbye, but he was still a little sad. BUT I was SO impressed with his understanding. 
Goodbye's

T: You take care of mommy for me. If she toots,
you just spank her on the bum!
M: Yah! And if Arek toots on you, You just toot right
back on him:)" 
This is how are goodbyes went down. Then on the way home Maddix told me stories about every plane he saw in the sky and how the planes were taking everyone's dad's to Poland as well. And how a plane was going to take him to New York next year, but that Santa would still come find him in NY to bring him presents:) I'm grateful for how happy he was while I was feeling pretty blue. Had he been in tears, I know I would have been as well. I am so grateful for my little boys!

Travel safe Love! Study hard... study your brains out, and ace those test! We will see you in 5 weeks!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment