Monday, October 22, 2012

Our Weekend

After a long week of buckling down and studying, then passing his tests and quizzes, Travis and his classmates decided to do a bowling night. However, the lanes were all booked for the night so we ordered some pizza and had an arcade games night.
On our way out we passed a set of coin operated vehicles that Maddix had been begging to ride all night... so Travis' classmates put in a coin because they completely DOTE on him, and whipped out their phones. I'm serious, you'd think he belonged to each of them the way they were 'awing' and snapping photos :)

Then Saturday Morning we slept in, packed, and boarded a bus that was short a few chickens of looking just like the bus ride from the scene in Romancing the Stone (if you know the reference, then you can picture it perfectly), and drove 3 hrs up to Warsaw.





 After we had explored some of the Old Town we followed the pleasant sound of distant Music
It let us down some stairs

and down a path until we came upon this musical street group, as well as the Lody (ice cream) Shop we'd been looking for

So while we enjoyed our ice cream

We got to listen to these gentlemen play some beautiful music


Shortly after this, we tuckered out and began our search for a taxi stand. Along the way we saw some more beautiful sights!
The splatter looking thing on the building is a gold clock. It was gorgeous

 After finding a cab we took a ride out to the Armstrong's home where we enjoyed their company, food, a movie, their toy room, and Fireworks!
This was Smokey, the Hampster
It was so random, but we LOVED it



Then, the highlight of the WHOLE trip, was getting to hang out with Uncle Colton:


But wait? This isn't Uncle Colton, you say? Well Don't tell Maddix because to him he spent the weekend with his Uncle! It was "Goodnight.... Good morning Uncle Colton," "Let's go church Uncle Colton," "See you later Uncle Colton." He was convinced that Jake, was indeed his Uncle. But can you blame him? They do look quite a bit alike:


 So Sunday morning they made us a wonderful breakfast, we all got ready, and made our way to the Conference for our District.
L to R: Jake, Sarah, Maddix, Grace, Racheal

 I wish I could say I'll remember this for wonderful talks and strong spirit, but I will always remember sitting in the parking lot, praying no one was going to come take Maddix away because he was throwing his BIGGEST fit to date! I was so flustered, in tears, overwhelmed, and just disliking every minute of his tantrum... then there was his fit on the train ride home, and a slight one in the taxi... then all night while we prepared to have Cody (branch Pres.) and Jasmine come over to plan the Branch Halloween Party, and also our last dinner with Elder Hancock :( He leaves Thurs.


For his dinner he requested Travis' Meatloaf, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli, and Choc. chip/oatmeal cookies with ice cream on top. We will miss him so much! After the Elders ran off to find out how transfers will go this week, Cody and Jasmine stayed and did all my dishes! I couldn't get them to stop, they were too kind! We really enjoyed talking to them about their lives in Taiwan, I feel like we got to know them a little better. Meanwhile, Maddix was breaking things and getting into EVERYTHING. So as soon as they left, I put him to bed and ate another helping of dessert while he expressed his anger to be in bed.

Then today only moments after taking this adorable picture where he had lined his cars up and said, "They watching a movie,"
Travis and I heard a really loud THUD, followed by screaming. We ran in the room and Maddix had once again, pulled his bottom drawer out of his dresser and had been trying to climb up to his toy drawer, but this time tipped it on top of himself; it's a heavy shelf. Travis lifted it while I tried to pull him out but drawers kept falling open on top of him and I was starting to freak. We got him out, held him while he was in tears, and then surveyed him; nothing was broken. Nothing scratched. Nothing bleeding. He was fine.

Stage 2: Severe Anger

Knowing he was okay, I was so angry. Nothing in this apartment belongs to us and he busted the dresser all up! At this point I don't know if it can even be fixed. He lost all his cars and T.V. privileges for the day, received a spankin', went to time out, and then straight to bed (since he has been Severely lacking in sleep). While he slept I went to the grocery store alone. I think my first time ever since being here; I've always had Maddix at the least. Travis sent me with his phone in case of emergency; boy it would've come in handy if the battery hadn't died. After once again looking like a freak for buying a cart full of food (people here only shop one or two days at a time), I went outside and found no taxis. I waited, and waited... and waited. Nothing. Long story short, I found someone who spoke English inside the store and she phoned a cabi for me. When he showed up his car smelt heavily of smoke and he took his sweet time stopping for everybody to go in front of us... as if I didn't know he was just trying to run the meter up. Whatever. I was at his mercy.

I am grateful the Lord provided a way home for me before I jacked one of their grocery carts just so I could get all my food home! :)

Moral of the story: Always keep your spouse's phone charged... oh and don't lose your own phone at the Armstrong's house in Warsaw; still trying to figure out how we're going to get that back before they leave town for two weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment