Sunday, June 22, 2014

StRaWbErRy DaYs!

Chalk it up to childhood tradition.
           Chalk it up to having my own children to watch get excited.
                             Or Chalk it up to the Strawberries in Creme...
No matter the reason, this is one of my favorite times of the year. I LOVE the way it livens up a town, excites the children (heck, and the adults), and I'm a huge fan of the rodeo; however, none of this would even be worth it without my annual cup(s) of Strawberry's in creme:
This year did have it's share of high points and low points though :( For instants I had my biggest regret of my parenting career this past Monday! Three or four weeks ago I pre-registered Maddix for a Pirate Party. They were going to have real Pirate ships, costumes, swords, fog, cannons, and Jack Sparrow was even going to drop in... on top of this all, Maddix is really into Pirates right now so this was going to be the pinnacle moment of the summer. This was to be the moment of mommy-hood where I would become the best, and I failed.
I suffer from mommy brain.
I didn't forget. How could I? It's all I could think about. 
I wrote the date down wrong. It was Monday, I thought it was Thursday. It was 5:00pm Monday night when I was flipping through the S-B Day's calendar and happened to glance at the date... then I looked at the clock... and I had missed it by 3 hours! BOOOOOO! I'm still heart broken, and probably will be for a very long time. 
Life moves on, I guess.
Part of this week's celebrations included Huck Finn Days. This was the first time we've ever participated in this portion and it was a blast; it was extra fun because we ended up running into cousins Porter and Lucy, as well as our Durfee friends. 
This was the favorite
part of the day

All these kids would have needed was this stream of water
and they would've been content

But since there was more to do,
we participated

Porter: sporting world cup decor, Lucy was a butterfly, and
Maddix got a lizard to match his shirt (which he soaked and
took off shortly after)

Open area full of water
and stalked with fish

"Look, no fish!"

"Mom, look it's Costco."

They were trying to show Maddix how to hang loose with
his fingers, but ended up just flashing three fingers
"because I'm 3 guys."

Hay search. He found a pencil

Durfee Friends

There was a pet show going.
This is Eddy the pony


To end the Huck Finn Days we waited in a line for 30 minutes for a tractor line. As we reached the front of the line they came and announced there would only be one more ride; we were back one person too many. As grief sunk in, Maddix began to cry. We were about to walk away when a little girl forfeited her turn with her brother so Maddix could ride! What an angel she was! She saved his day.

We also made it to the carnival where Maddix met his Dopple Ganger (his twin). This boy was about 6 or 7 and his mom was just as blown away as I was by their similarities. They shared a ride together then ran around the park wanting to hang out:) 

We had a fun Mommy-Maddix Date while Aaron napped, and Travis studied. 


No comments:

Post a Comment