Monday, August 18, 2014

A Weekend Way Back in the Sticks

When I was a little girl my mother used to sing to me some nights and 
when I hear those particular songs they seem to jog my mind of memories
that are hazy and forgotten, or maybe only half remembered.
One song goes: 
"I know a place where no one ever goes,
there's peace and quiet, beauty and repose, it's 
hidden in a Valley beside a rushing stream...............etc. "
This song always brings up memories of my Grandparent's home 
clear out in Torrey Utah. Home to a whopping 150 people,
this town is down south in Wayne county. This 
is where I spent many of my childhood
summers just running around
in the mountains.
No worries.
carefree.

Well this past Saturday was my actually anniversary and we have now been married six years (a separate blog will come to follow) and in these years together I have never had the chance to take Travis, or the boys to this little undiscovered whole in the wall, until this weekend. We had little time to spend there, but we really packed a lot in. Saturday I rode my bike to work so Travis could get the car packed. He picked me up. We picked my brother up, then we started our 3 1/2 hr drive "Way out in the sticks." Travis kept laughing and saying, "we are really in the middle of nowhere....now we're really in the middle of nowhere..... I don't think I've ever been somewhere this remote." Even after these comments started we drove about another hour. This town really is NOWHERE. 
We arrived a little late, got settled in, ate dinner, I showed my boys around the property and wandered over to my Uncle John's and Aunt Brook's home to say hello; I haven't seen them in 3 years! 
We ended the night with smores and Gigantic fireworks that shot up a couple hundred feet into the sky, then stayed up talking until basically the next morning. 
Sunday morning I had so much fun showing Travis "the Chuck Wagon" convenience store. My grandmother used to take me there each morning after I'd earned money from chores and let me buy a donut or bagel from the bakery. Then on the way home we'd always stop by the ditch to swing on this ancient rope swing. 
I miss my Grandma; this trip wasn't the same without her, but I am grateful I got to pass along some of these memories to Trav and the boys. 
After breakfast we loaded up and went to Capital Reef Park where we hiked. Travis saw his first ever Petroglyphs, and Maddix was sworn in as an official Junior Ranger, with badge and everything. Maddix took a little spill and Aaron fell asleep in my Uncle's arms and the way back down, but overall it was a great day. 
We unfortunately had to pack right back up and hit the road, but by nightfall we were back home and the boys were in bed, happy to be out of the car:) 

Base of the hike

Hiking to the grainery 


Hiking to the bridge. We learned the difference
between a bridge and an arch. 

Lunch Break

Maddix getting bandaged up

My cute little guy just
couldn't take it anymore.
Barely even realized we
were in the car.

Proud of Grandpa and Maddix
for making it all the way
After completing the booklet
Maddix was sworn in as a
Junior Ranger, in charge of
protecting the National Parks:)



The Old Rope Swing

This spot hasn't changed in at least 20 years. 
 p.s. Neither have my Grandfather's strange eating Habits
That would be watermelon, banana, and mint-choclate chip
 ice cream




No comments:

Post a Comment