Friday, August 8, 2014

Final Weeks of Summer... what?

Hands down, summer is my favorite time of the year.

That's not to say that I don't really enjoy the other seasons, because I do. I really am looking forward to those stormy fall days where the thin wispy clouds hang low on the mountains so the peaks poke through. I love the leaves changing colors, and I'm actually a pretty big fan of Halloween... and Thanksgiving... then ya know, CHRISTMAS is awesome! But couldn't it warm back up just after the new year? Do we have to stay cold all of Jan-March? I guess it's essential in building up my sheer anticipation for each summer to come, and this summer did NOT disappoint. For instance, this week alone we've racked up some great memories.
Monday
There was quite a bit of cleaning to be done, first off. That wedding has left its mark, but we went to town erasing any left over evidence like powdered sugar dusting the chairs and shelves, butter all over the backsplash, and frosting engrained into the grout.... good thing there are no pictures to remember that part of the wedding; no one wants to remember THAT part:) 

So I started a mini "boot camp" with a couple of my friends from work so they came over bright and early to complete their first run. In the meantime, Grandma Juliene had come up to play with the boys. After my girls left, I went out back to enjoy watching Maddix, Travis, and Grandma driving electric race cars around while Aaron chased them in circles. That whole morning was turning really pleasant until..... ThE CinDeR WaLl~  Grandma had lifted Maddix onto the wall and he was showing off for her. As I rounded the corner of the shed and saw him up there I decided to take his hand so he could hop down, but he thought he'd get down sooner.... no sooner than I could think I just watched it happen. Big and heavy Maddix jumped off the wall and into little and frail Grandma's arms. Her face turned to sheer panic as he landed in her arms and she began to fall backwards. For a split second, I thought she was going to stable herself, but then she fell, and not only could she keep herself from going down, but her head smacked into the asphalt, loudly. Travis and I came running over and out of extreme fear Maddix ran inside balling over what had happened. 

Travis carried Grandma in and onto the couch where we gave her an ice pack, then Travis drove her home and he and his dad administered a blessing; she seems to be just fine and I'm impressed with her resilient body! Before she left I really wanted Maddix to come see Grandma and perhaps say sorry. When I went in his room I found him hiding under his blankets pretending to be asleep because he was too afraid to come out. I finally convinced him that no one was mad at him, and although he came with me he wouldn't take his head out of the blanket :( He was TERRIFIED of grandma and the situation. So after they left Maddix and I sat, cuddled in a blanket, skipped swim lessons, and just tried to talk through it. OH! and before they left, Aaron was getting really tired for his nap that I was ignoring while attending to Grandma. I don't know if he hurt himself in someway or just decided to throw an exhausted fit, but he began going blue in the face. I picked him up and started breathing in his face but he wasn't having it. His face became more contorted and discolored as he passed out in my arms. Grandma was panicked, but seeing as this wasn't my first time around with this I was slightly calmed. He went limp in my arms and then his eyes started rolling to the back of his head. About 5 (years) seconds later, he came too. I calmed him, then put him for his nap where he instantly grabbed his blanket and rolled right over because that's all he'd wanted... 
... talk about an eventful moment. 

Grandma is okay. 
Aaron was much happier after a nap. 
Choc covered pretzels were a
bad idea!
The day went on! 
FHE was extremely fun. We went up to Cabella's to walk around. We were lucky and got to be there while they fed the fish, we shot the guns, and ALMOST bought an overly priced bag of jerk, almost. 
Then we rented the lego movie and came home to cuddle up as a family.




yeeha!

Animal room

Gun shooting

Gun watching
Tuesday
Once again, my girls returned bright and early and we worked on our arms and abs (I have to record so I don't forget what we did). After they left I set to cleaning... something that never ever ends in this big house. It was really fun because Travis had to run some errands so he also got to take Maddix to swim lessons. They ran to the post office then took some daddy Maddix time and went and got fries and ice cream together:) In the afternoon Travis took off to the library and the boys and I took a break from all the cleaning and watched the Lego movie (again) all snuggled up on the couch: 
Also in big news from our tuesday: WE SOLD MY WHITE CAR! 
Once I had TWO fords, now I have one.

Goodbye Lily. You've been perfectly perfect!
Thank you for the memories. 
Wednesday
We cleaned. Then  I worked. Travis got to spend the night with the boys. I think that was it. 

Thursday
This was the LAST day of swim lessons :*(

When Maddix first started lessons, this boy was terrified of the water. He wouldn't put his head under the water, and he ran away from his class and teacher probably a dozen times per class. By the end, he can focus and listen, put his head under water and open his eyes, do backflips, retrieve items, use a kick board, float on front/back, swim a few lengths, and he has no fear of the water whatsoever! I'd say this summer was a complete SUCCESS!! 
We went to the Scera, and Travis came: 
And then a few of our friends came out to the house for a barbecue, smores, and star gazing (us wrapped in the blankets with the little ones at the end of the night, probably my fav moment). 

The Hatch family

The Nelson's

The goofballs

Oh they were a mess!

Looking at our neighbor's horses

whipping out the blankets 
It was so fun watching the kids run back and forth together. Mackenzie always jokes that Mercedes and Maddix are going to have a "Swan Princess" kind of relationship (if you haven't seen the movie, go google "This is my idea" and watch that song/scene). At one point Mercedes was down on the patio calling up to Maddix while he and Mattix were on the swing blowing raspberries down at her.... seriously happens just like that in the movie:) Later Mercedes announced that she'd be marrying Maddix when she grew up and we all about died laughing. Love kids. Love our friends. Loved the night! Thanks for coming over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment