Saturday, February 11, 2012

Out with the old, and into the new

Last Friday night we were spending our last night in the comfort of a queen bed, last night with the mountains, warm weather, and being close to family. At this time last Saturday we were sitting in the JFK airport with one hour to go until our Flight into Poland. 
Yesterday we spent our last morning over at the hotel and made our way to the place we would now be calling home. I was filled with anxiousness to get into the place and make it my own; and even more so to go Grocery Shopping and get to learning to Cook! Travis was excited too since the landlord met all of our demands in lowering the rent price, buying us a bed (since there is currently a futon), and all other amenities we need; not to mention we were both SO ecstatic to not have Maddix asleep next to our bed like it's been for the past 4weeks. 

When we walked in I took a deep breath of relief... then quickly stopped breathing as I walked past the bathroom; smelt pretty.. bathroomy. We went into the front room to sign the papers the sun was shining through so nicely, as I looked around I noticed all the dust and dirt all over the floor and couches. The Kitchen, walls, and light switches were covered in dirt smears and there was food still in the freezer (and later I noticed a few piles of hair in a few areas.. different hair). I was starting to have a panic attack that the cleaning lady wasn't going to be here until Monday so Travis and I got to pre-cleaning. When I made it to the futon in our room I noticed a bug crawling across it. As I unfolded the blanket there were dead bugs weaved in and out of it! We threw them in the wash and moved on to EVERYTHING ELSE. 

Thankfully Maddix fell asleep during a movie while we were cleaning and we were able to put him to bed with out a fight. We're doing a test run before we buy him a crib where we've turned the futon couch to face the wall and pinned him in. Extremely done with the day we headed off to bed. While I was going to the bathroom I looked down in time to notice this little bug that looked like a baby leech, or mini tadpole zip across the floor and stop as soon as it registered my presence. I sat for moment paralyzed in fear then realized I would never sleep if it got away. So I sucked it up and smashed it; EXTREMELY freaked out that I now had bugs crawling ALL over my body!

I finally fell asleep but shortly heard a thud, and a baby cry. I don't know if he rolled or tried to come find us but either way I found him in a pile on the floor crying in his room. I brought him to bed with us and between the tossing, rolling, nightmares of bugs, and freezing cold temp with no blanket... I did NOT sleep! And here I thought last weekend was tiring. 

Yesterday we had no internet, hence no blog, but I definitely wouldn't have posted any pics of the apartment. Those will come Monday night after the cleaning lady comes. So all that being said we did get it clean.... enough to make do. Thankfully one of the students in Trav's group has his parents here and they made too much food and invited us all over. We had be best traditional Indian food ever and his mom gave all the kids advice because she's a very successful doctor in L.A. She was very knowledgeable. Then we went Shopping. 

I almost ran out of the store in tears and hyperventilating as I got knocked around, couldn't read anything, couldn't find anything normal, and then couldn't understand what the cashier was trying to tell me. Oh then there was Maddix SCREAMING the whole time 'cause he's tired, hungry, adjusting, and getting another molar; I told Travis right then and there that I might have to go home and never come back! Seriously.

Today we attended a potluck with his group of classmates (minus one that was missing) which was fun because even though we're all from America, everyone made a dish they were accustomed to eating at home so we had pot stickers, Indian food, chicken, pasta, potatoes and everything in between. It was fun and tasty, especially the cake at the end.. OH WAIT, it looked good, we ended up not being something we could eat. It was tiramisu.. Boo!
After that we went back to the market (we walked there, but normally take a cab) and this time it was much less scary. Unlike America people stay home on the weekends here. They don't save Saturday for their errands, they enjoy it. It left the store much more empty for me. Plus today I used google translate to figure out all my groceries so we could find it all and I actually enjoyed it. Then when we came home I converted all our food into plastic containers since we may or may not have a weevil problem. But I like it better all in plastic! 

Sorry for such a long post but I really needed to get this whole event written down and off my chest. It's really been bothering me. And tonight I told Travis he gets to stay up all night if Maddix gets up. Tonight we pinned him in with a chair that's weighted down at the entrance so hopefully he can't roll off or try to escape! 
Well Here's some picutres from the day. 
This is Kohsi (Koh-see), he's from Florida and Maddix's absolute favorite!
Grace with Maddix, she's from Boston
SanJit (Canada) ,Sharpon (L.A.), John(N. Cali), Nice girl from Texas, Kohsi, Grace, Nice girl from NY, and my Trav
This is a picture from our front room window. It's Old City Poland that we went and walked through the other day. And that's a gorgeous Church they're restoring.

This is a view of the sunset from my bedroom. If you click on it and enlarge it you can see that the sun is highlighting another church. I love the views from the apartment. And then right across the street from the Kitchen window is Trav's Campus. So nice for him since it's so cold day and night here. His walk will be 5mins tops. Thanks for hanging in there for this post.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for reading that whole thing. I know all people want are the pictures but I'm using this as my journal so I have to get it all down. So we Identified the bug that I killed on the bathroom floor because I found another one in the window. They are silver fish (google them, they're gross). So that is one of the four types identified.
      I'm torn because I want tomorrow to come so the lady can get to cleaning, but at the same time, Trav starts school, and I officially become a school widow. Don't know if I can do with without him. He's been so much of my rock! How do you professional wives and mothers do it? You seem to have it down ;)
      Hope everyone is doing well!

      Delete