Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We planned to make it outside... really we did.

You know the best part of not working anymore? Endless possibilities with Maddix.  I used to have quite a bit of time off in between my working days so I really should've had plenty of time of enjoy my son and do all the things we wanted, but I always would wake up on my day off and think, "Okay, I HAVE to make today really count because tomorrow I'm back at work." Or I'd fret when the sun was out and we weren't out soaking in all it's rays while we had time because most days I didn't work it was always raining (funny how that is). I ran my days on a meticulous schedule to try and make the day all that it could be and half the time I ended up frustrated with the day because we were behind schedule.
But here there is very little use for schedules, and very little time restraints. We can run our day how we want and the only thing that dictates my days are the number of pairs of socks Travis brought with him: He brought 7 pair,s so really I only HAVE to do laundry every 6days. When I look in the fridge I only HAVE to go shopping once the food is out. I only HAVE to pull myself away from whatever we're immersed in by 5:00pm to have dinner done for Travis' return; the rest is a blank canvas for us to create whatever we please. 
So today I had woke up thinking we'd go outside FOR SURE because the sun was out for a surprising two days in a row, and the weather report is calling for rain until next Thurs... obviously a good idea to get out while we could. But as the day progressed Maddix and I found ourselves indulged in other activities. 
Activity 1: His Cars fort.
I kept having that nagging feeling, "Lacey, you HAVE to get outside. The sun will only warm up the day for so much LONGER. Clean up the fort and get outside. Exit out of the recipes online and take Maddix outside." 
But every time I looked over and see him having fun, I'd suppress that voice in my head and just enjoy where the day was at.. not where I'd planned it to be. And so, we never made it outside, but we enjoyed our many activities indoors today. The creativity of a child's mind (especially my Maddix's) will never cease to amaze me. 

Each day he is trying something new. Yesterday I thought about posting an updated account on Maddix's progress and really didn't know where to begin. He's passed the point of listing everything he can say because he can say EVERYTHING. I'll just say out loud, "okay let's go get some cereal," and just like a parrot I'll hear him mock, "cereal?" And that's how it is with ANYTHING that you say. Now is when we really have to watch what we say... *cough, cough* Travis. 
And so, I guess I really do need to sit down and think about all the things that he can do, but not now because it's late, I'm starting to see double, and I keep retyping the same words twice. I know I'm always saying how tired I am but that is because believe it or not, if I don't get dinner started until 5:00pm, I don't get finished with eating, the clean up, a bath for Maddix, sometimes a story, prayers, and then the deep clean on the kitchen to prevent the buggies, and then finally into bed at 10:00 when I turn the computer on and blog. 
So I'll leave you with our evening happenings 
We love us some dinner time
We tried out a new recipe for baked Parmesan Chicken and it's probably my favorite meal we've had thus far. Next time I think I'm going to put it over some noodles and make it into more of a pasta meal. Maddix loved it as well. But he loved sitting next to Travis for dinner more. Afterward they turned on a short cartoon and sat and watched it &laughed together; it was cute:) Then Travis had to get back to studying and I put Maddix to bed. 
Today was another very good day. Hopefully this is a sign that we're finding our groove.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are definitely finding your groove! And yes that is one thing I love so much about motherhood, it's okay if we don't always do everything we planned, as long as we're doing the things that are most important and helping our children grow!

    ReplyDelete